Thursday, June 14, 2012

Musical Mosaic Mess

I often wonder about my tastes in music. I love Heavy Metal - hence the title of this blog - but Metal is by no means the only style of music I listen to. I love classical, rock, blues, electronic, and many other styles. Today I thought I was going to go open Spotify and listen to some Grindcore, one of the most extreme metal styles in existence. Instead, I got joyfully sidetracked by the band Keane, a modern band that sounds just like a New Wave band straight out of the 80's. Back in the 80's, the listeners of Grindcore would beat up the New Wavers, so how does it fit together in my music pallet? Why is it that I so want to define myself and judge others by musical preferences? I have more questions than answers on this subject. Honestly my goal is to be at a place where I don't define myself by one style of music or another, and I want to judge others less by their tastes. It's tough though. When you see a guy who dresses in such a way that you can tell he listens to a lot of hardcore rap music (the filthy and violent stuff), it's hard not to stereotype him. On the other hand I know that when people see groups I have associated with, such as Metalheads, they have preconceived ideas about them too, but I also know that most of those ideas are wrong. I have never met a metalhead that didn't have at least one softer artist or style that they listened to, and 99% of them have no love of Satan whatsoever. Is this true about others whose music is their culture? I can't say from experience, but I bet more often than not the answer is yes. Sure there are some goths that are all gloomy and depressed, there are country fans that are racist hicks, and metalheads that are satanists, but the vast majority of them are much different. So, if I can't judge others by their music, then there is no point in doing so to myself. I just have to accept that Daniel David is a guy who loves Megadeth (Metal), Lecrae (Christian Rap), Bach (Classical), and Todd Agnew (Christian Rock). God made me, and He does not make mistakes.    

No comments:

Post a Comment